Alaska Team Practices, Tune-up Games & Other Updates

Discussion in 'Alaska Aces' started by hoops, Jun 2, 2014.

1. burn_1125

burn_1125 Starter

• Like Like x 1
  2. xanfang

xanfang All Star

BGSM
    Cavaliers
    7pm dre

3. MR. FAST

MR. FAST Mythical 5

BGSM
    sino yung ping?

4. MR. FAST

MR. FAST Mythical 5

BGSM
    Alaska team manager and board representative Richard Bachmann said that Hontiveros and Baclao are two of the nine Aces with expiring contracts this Aug. 31, which they extend to renew fresh deals.

“We’re ok now with Dondon and Noy. The rest, we’re still negotiating,” said Bachmann yesterday. “We’re confident that we’ll get them signed even before the expiration of their contracts.”

5. dean

dean Admin

Knicks
    Alaska taps Shane Edwards as temporary replacement for Dozier

[​IMG]

Alaska import Rob Dozier will be out for at least a month with plantar fasciitis, forcing the Aces to have to find a suitable replacement.

For now, they will be turning to forward Shane Edwards, who will try to fill the crucial role for Alaska while Dozier is recovering.

“Imports come and go and it is something we don’t have any control of. Rob doesn’t want to hurt his foot, but we’ve got to do something about it,” Alaska coach Alex Compton told InterAksyon.com in a telephone interview.

According to Compton, the team is not replacing Dozier, a former Best Import who led the Aces to the 2013 Commissioner’s Cup title, completely. He could have the option to return when he’s healthy although that’s something the team will have to evaluate.

6. FherLita

FherLita Reserve

MB
    tuwing kelan practice ng aces?? saka what time po??

7. dean

dean Admin

Knicks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Calvin Abueva cameo appearance sa Dolce Amore.

8. dean

dean Admin

Knicks
    Good read Aces fans.. :tup

Alex Compton and the Aces ‘fail forward’ once again
    by Chuck Araneta

Once again he stood talking to people in the darkness, away from the bright lights where his opponents were basking in the glow of victory and celebration. As the shouts of victorious men echoed around, he spoke in quiet and measured tones: not sounding defeated, but rather defiant. He has been in this situation far too often: four out of the last five conferences he stood there, trying to explain away losses after losses after losses.

But if you ask Alaska Aces Head Coach Alex Compton whether he would do it all over again, fight and claw to reach this point where he can finally be crowned a champion in the PBA, the answer is painfully obvious: Bring it on.

Alex Compton is a stubborn man. He has said so himself in several interviews, in every opportunity that he can bring it up. He’s a creature of habit, whether it’s his defensive sets or basketball rotations. He has convictions about how things ought to be run, and how basketball should be played. That stubbornness leads him to believe every single time they make the PBA Finals that this is going to be “it.” The time they finally scale that mountain and it win it all.

Two years into his PBA career, that mountain has been untouched. “It hurts,” Compton expressed to me in after their 109-92 series clinching loss to the Elastopainters. “It’s really kind of like a repeat, almost a copy paste of our last interview.”

But Compton won’t stop believing that the next time they make it is going to be their time. “I’m too hard-headed to think ‘oh, give up now,’” he says. The players on the floor for Alaska have adapted the mentality of their head coach: The willingness to fight and compete in every single game despite the odds stacked against them repeatedly, whether it is due to personnel or injury.

The team is as stubborn as their head coach. And Compton knows this. He revels in it. “What makes me proudest is no one thought we’d be back here,” Compton says. “But they came, and they got up and did what I asked them to do. You honor this country, the people who have real adversity, and you get up.”

We tend to look at the results of basketball with black or white tinted glasses. In simplest terms, either you’re a winner or a loser. You’ve either scored more points than your opponent when the last buzzer sounds, or you haven’t. And if you’ve fallen behind, you’re a loser.

Does that make Compton a loser, in this regard? Absolutely. Four straight Finals conferences ending in losses. Heartbreak after heartbreak after heartbreak after heartbreak.

But then again, is any coach free of the title of “loser” in the PBA? Not so, if you ask Compton. “Every coach is a loser,” says Compton. “I’ve said that when I’m talking to coaches. Every coach is a loser. How many championships has Coach Yeng (Guiao) won? Seven. So how many conferences has he not won? How many championships has Coach Tim (Cone) won? The most ever. How many conferences has he not won?

“There are a bunch of really good coaches who don’t win,” he continues. “I think as a head coach unless you have that mentality and just keep going and trying to learn everything you can and do every little bit you can to help your guys be better, you’re gonna kill yourself.”

The perspective that we in the public and media tend to take is to look at what’s staring straight ahead at us, whether it is results of games and Finals series, and make our snap decisions on people and franchises based on that. “Alaska lost again to Rain or Shine, what a bunch of losers!”

But the perspective of Compton is simple: Why stop even if they lose over and over again? “Are we just supposed to roll over and die now?” Compton says about repeatedly falling short. “I can feel sorry about it, or go ‘what’s that lesson there, or what’s that lesson here?’ There are always teaching points. I wanna take these teaching points for us as a staff, me as a coach and the players and get that one possession that gets us a championship.”

And until they get to that point that they’re the ones on the basketball court welcoming the balloons falling down from the fathers and cutting the basketball nets, Alaska won’t stop. Compton won’t stop. It’s not in his DNA.

Iron sharpens iron, as the Good Book says. And in basketball, too often failure is a prerequisite for success. “One of my favorite books is Failing Forward by John Maxwell,” Compton shares. “I’m a believer that failure brings growth. So if I ever get tired of failure then I think I’m getting tired of learning.” Instead of letting the losses, public scrutiny and frustrations overwhelm him, Compton used that feeling this conference to help will his team to fight once more. To claw their way back into the Commissioners Cup Finals after a physical and emotional gut punch in the Philippine. To stretch their series against the Elastopainters to a sixth game after an 0-3 hole and key players unavailable in the series.

He learns from this. Everyone on the squad learns from this. They’d rather be here, than anywhere else. Ingrained in Alaska is a culture that keeps competing no matter what the circumstance, helping each other out and not surrendering to a mindset of judging losing completely on results.

Compton clings to the belief that they need to keep putting themselves in the opportunity to lose in the biggest stage, because one day it’s going to be their time. “You know what, we’re gonna win one. And I’ll tell the guys the same thing: You’ll be called a champion for life. You’re a champion in my mind, but you’re a champion because of the way you played and how you got up in this conference that we lost.”

“Hopefully you get to write a great story about Alaska winning the championship,” he says wistfully. “I don’t know if that’s next conference or two years from now, but we’re gonna keep getting up and doing that.”

source

9. dean

dean Admin

Knicks
    [​IMG]

The Pain The Day After Is Always Worse Than The Pain The Day Of.. Especially When You Know You Let Something Slip Away Thats Not Often In Everyones Grasp. Was A Very Long And Frustrating Year But I Kept My Cool Threw It All And God Granted Me An Opportunity To Fulfill My Ultimate Goal And That Was A Chance To Bring Back A Championship To The Alaska Aces.. Although We Came Up Short I Proud To Have Been Apart Of The Group And Staff That I Was Surrounded With.. And Im Glad We Were Able To Fight Threw All The Adversity That Surrounded The Team.. Want To Say Thanks To The Coaches, My Teammates, And Fans For Believing In Me After Pretty Much Missing The Whole Year.. You Guys Dont Know How Much That Means To Me.. I Know You Guys Will Continue To Be Successful In The Next Conference And Pray That You Guys Get That 15th Trophy. And Again Thanks Aces Nation.. @acesnation_#AcesNation#RobDozier

10. khyndr3d

khyndr3d All Star

Hi mukha dalang ng Mga Alas dito

11. dean

dean Admin

Knicks
    Calvin Abueva back in harness for Alaska, but Vic Manuel grounded anew by injury

Here's good news and bad news for Alaska fans.

The good news of course, revolves around the return of star forward Calvin Abueva after he was hospitalized during the All-Star break. The bad news is that big man Vic Manuel once again hurting his previously injured calf muscle.

Coach Alex Compton said Abueva is likely to play in the Aces’ PBA Governors Cup game against Rain or Shine Saturday, but Manuel remains a doubtful starter.

12. Dong13

Dong13 refolyo Starter

BGSM
    Spurs
    boss Khyn, madam Batang gatas kamusta :):)

13. hingebra

hingebra "Purefoods Lover, Ginebra Hater" LOL! Starter

PF
    Cavaliers
  14. dean

dean Admin

Knicks
    Thoss raring to get back into action after injury layoff

After sitting out Alaska’s first six games of the season, Sonny Thoss is set to make his debut against Star on Wednesday.

Coach Alex Compton confirmed the development after the Aces’ Tuesday afternoon practice at Gatorade Hoops Center in Shaw.

“He may be playing a little bit. We’ll have to see how he feels,” the mentor said with the Aces hoping to get a much needed boost on their frontcourt.

But the same can’t be said for Noy Baclao who has been ruled out for the remainder of the conference due to his knee injury.

15. dean

dean Admin

Knicks
    [​IMG]

Alaska injury woes pile up as Chris Banchero suffers broken finger on left hand

The injuries just keep piling up for Alaska.

Banchero hurt the finger early in the second quarter as he tried to poke the ball away from a Blackwater player. He failed to finish the game as he was rushed to the hospital and ended up with only four points (2 of 4 shooting), two assists, and three turnovers.

As the Aces walked away with their second straight win to tie Rain or Shine and Meralco on top of the standings, Compton received the bad news.

“He (Banchero) broke a finger on his left hand and is out another four weeks,” Compton disclosed to SPIN.ph an hour after the game.

Source: Alaska injury woes pile up as Chris Banchero suffers broken finger on left hand | SPIN.PH

16. dean

dean Admin

Knicks
    [​IMG]

Calvin Abueva, JV Casio sit out Alaska match vs SMB; Vic Manuel listed as doubtful

AS if the string of losses it suffered the last few weeks are not enough, Alaska is bracing for the worst as it plays its remaining schedule in the eliminations of the PBA Commissioner’s Cup.

The Aces battle powerhouse San Miguel Beermen on Saturday at the Ynares Sports Center in Antipolo without starters Calvin Abueva, Jvee Casio, and Vic Manuel.

Casio is nursing a hamstring injury, while the ankle injury Abueva suffered during the team’s 100-92 loss to NLEX on Wednesday appeared to be more serious than initially anticipated.

Manuel might also possibly sit out the game against the Beermen due to a hurting knee.

The absence of the three will definitely hurt the chances of an Alaska team that is on a five-game losing slump, especially in a match against the powerhouse Beermen.

“No doubt, the second part of this conference has been a struggle for us,” admitted coach Alex Compton. “The same holds true for our game against the best team in the league, San Miguel.”

Notwithstanding the adversities, expect the Aces to still give out their best as they fight for the remaining playoffs berth.

“While we will miss the services of Jvee, Calvin, and possibly Vic, we still have a team full of PBA players who will be expected to leave their hearts on the floor,” said the Alaska coach.

Calvin Abueva, JV Casio sit out Alaska match vs SMB; Vic Manuel listed as doubtful | SPIN.PH

Chat

Help
    1. There are currently no users chatting.

You don't have the necessary permissions to use the chat.