Brgy. Ginebra Team Practices, Tune-up Games & Other Updates

Discussion in 'Barangay Ginebra San Miguel' started by hoops, Jun 2, 2014.

1. MR. FAST

MR. FAST Mythical 5

BGSM
    IT hasn’t even started, yet Barangay Ginebra’ campaign in the PBA Commissioner’s Cup already hit a snag as one of its top playmakers could miss the team’s conference debut against Phoenix on Saturday in Davao.

Sol Mercado is listed as questionable due to a minor knee injury he sustained in a collision with Mark Caguioa in practice on Wednesday.

“He tweaked his knee yesterday in practice,” Gin Kings coach Tim Cone said after the team's training on Thursday.

Read more at Sol Mercado in doubt for Ginebra debut vs Phoenix after hurting knee in practice mishap | SPIN.PH

2. MR. FAST

MR. FAST Mythical 5

BGSM
  3. MR. FAST

MR. FAST Mythical 5

BGSM
    Tim Cone plans to activate Greg Slaughter for Commissioner’s Cup playoffs

After Ginebra secured a quarterfinals berth in the Commissioner’s Cup on Sunday, multi-titled head coach Tim Cone said the Kings will likely activate slotman Greg Slaughter come playoff time.

“We will most likely activate him (Slaughter) for the playoffs,” declared Cone, as his Gin Kings roared to a 107-99 win against sister team San Miguel for their sixth win in 8 starts.

But the American mentor said the 6-11 Slaughter will probably serve more as warm body for the moment while he continues to rehabilitate his knee after tearing his ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) last year.

“We’ll put him on the roster and activate him, but we don’t expect him to play,” he quickly added. “We’ll put him there just in case, make everybody get scared.

Cone said the Fil-Am big man has yet to rejoin the team’s practice as he continues to attend to his rehab session religiously. – FOX Sports Asia

4. dean

dean Admin

Knicks
    [​IMG]

Greg Slaughter says knee 'stronger than before' as he joins first Ginebra practice since injury

EXCITEMENT filled the air as Greg Slaughter showed up in his first official practice for Barangay Ginebra on Thursday after being sidelined for eight months recovering from a torn ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) in his right knee.

The Gin Kings star slotman has been undergoing rehabilitation following surgery on the knee he injured last September – in his first game back after being out for three months due to a different injury.

Slaughter, who turned 29 last Friday, finally attended his first training session on Thursday, joining offensive simulations apart from shooting drills.

“It was exciting even though it was just five-on-zero, just to be out there with my team again, pass the ball around, it’s been a while,” Slaughter said in a chat with SPIN.ph after practice on the eve of the Gin Kings’ PBA Commissioner’s Cup matchup against Blackwater in Biñan.

Slaughter was healthy enough to even throw down some dunks.

“I can dunk; I’ve already been working on jumping on my rehab, so dunking, that’s not hard to do a straight-up jump,” the 6-foot-11 big man said. “But I still have a little bit more things to cover.”

“I’m still working out more, trying to get a lot of extra workouts in, because right now, it’s all about getting my leg strong,” he added. “It’s healed. It’s even stronger than before – my knee. I just need to get it as strong as my left leg. My left leg’s always been stronger. I just got to catch my right leg up to it. And the progress is going well."

Greg Slaughter says knee 'stronger than before' as he joins first Ginebra practice since injury | SPIN.PH

5. xanfang

xanfang All Star

BGSM
    Cavaliers
    Alaska dominates Ginebra as Greg Slaughter struggles in tuneup game

Even with a depleted a line-up, Alaska still kept a good momentum heading to the opening of the PBA Governors’ Cup after hammering out a 96-87 decision over Barangay Ginebra in their tune-up game on Thursday at the Gatorade Hoops Gym in Mandaluyong.

[​IMG]

The Kings trailed by as many as 16 points but are using the tuneup match as a way to fine tune things out since just regrouping in practice last week.

Import LaDontae Henton led Alaska after pumping 23 points while veteran shooter Dondon Hontiveros added 14.

Athletic forward Japeth Aguilar topscored for the Kings with 18 markers, but did not return in the final frame anymore with a banged-up leg, while returning reinforcement Justin Brownlee chipped in 13.

BOX SCORES:

ALASKA 96 – Henton 23, Hontiveros 14, Magat 12, Banchero 10, Enciso 8, Exciminiano 7, Galliguez 6, Pascual 6, Thoss 4, Casio 3, Andrada 2, Baclao 1

GINEBRA 87 – Aguilar 18, Brownlee 13, Tenorio 9, Mercado 9, Thompson 9, Helterbrand 6, Taha 6, Marcelo 5, Slaughter 5, Cruz 3, Ellis 2, Mariano 2, Caguioa 0

Quarterscores: 22-10, 52-36, 73-65, 96-87

6. MR. FAST

MR. FAST Mythical 5

BGSM
    The scores:

GINEBRA 107 - Brownlee 26, Slaughter 13, Aguilar 12, Ellis 11, Thompson 9, Mariano 8, Tenorio 6, Cruz 5, Taha 4, Jamito 4, Caguioa 4, Helterbrand 3, Mercado 2, Devance 0, Marcelo 0

STAR 85 – Maliksi 16, Sangalang 13, Ramos 12, Reavis 10, Melton 9, Bowers 6, Lee 5, Brondial 4, Mendoza 4, Barroca 2, Javier 2, Abundo 2, Simon 0, De Leon 0, Dela Rosa 0

Quarterscores: 26-18, 53-45, 82-63, 107-85

Read more at Ginebra showcases improving chemistry with Greg Slaughter in rout of Star in tune-up | SPIN.PH

7. dean

dean Admin

Knicks
    Kevin Ferrer back in practice after cheek injury, hopeful to suit up for Ginebra in Game 3

KEVIN Ferrer sat on the far end of the bench on Monday in Ginebra's 121-94 dismantling of TNT Katropa in Game One of the PBA Governors' Cup semifinals.

Shortly after the match at the Smart Araneta Coliseum, Ferrer bared he is close to full recovery after sustaining a fracture in his left cheek bone in a loss to the same team in the elimination round.

During halftime of that game which they lost last September 23, Ferrer was rushed to the hospital after falling face first while trying to block Mo Tautuaa's shot.

But Ferrer insisted there's no more pain in his face now, adding he has been showing up in the team's practices. He is only participating in non-contact drills, though.

"Nakaka-practice na, pero no contact. Sumasabay na ako sa kanila sa practice," he said.

The lanky forward out of University of Santo Tomas is hopeful he could suit up for the team in Game Three on Friday.

Right now, all Ferrer needs is rest.

"Hopefully sa Friday makabalik na talaga," he said. "Normal na, as in. Walang pain. Rest na lang talaga. Hinihintay na lang go signal ng doctor."

Source: Kevin Ferrer back in practice after cheek injury, hopeful to suit up for Ginebra in Game 3 | SPIN.PH

Chat

Help
    1. There are currently no users chatting.

You don't have the necessary permissions to use the chat.