Welcome to Star, Robbie Herndon and Gian Abrigo!

Discussion in 'Star Hotshots' started by Dzee, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Dzee

Dzee All Star

PF
    Bulls
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
    Tags:
  2. Dzee

Dzee All Star

PF
    Bulls
    Robbie Herndon's star is on the rise
    By Paul Lintag on Nov 01, 2017 10:19 AM

When he first tried out in the country, no D-League team wanted to gamble on Robbie Herndon. But during the PBA Draft, one team had confidence to take him 6th overall and another wanted him so bad it traded three top-20 picks to acquire him.

Robbie Herndon's basketball journey in the Philippines was not smooth sailing at all.

Back when he first tried to make it in the country, no D-League teams wanted to gamble on a relatively unknown Fil-foreign prospect.

But, after countless hours of hard work, Herndon finally realized his PBA dream Sunday at the end of the annual Draft.

In fact, at least more than two teams genuinely showed intereset in him. One wanted him enough to draft him 6th overall and another wanted him so much it traded a first round pick and two second rounders to acquire his services.

Globalport took Herndon no. 6 in round one during the PBA's annual selection process. However, Robbie was only a Batang Pier for like an hour.

Almost immediately after the Draft, Star made a move to get Herndon, trading away no. 9 pick Lervin Flores, no. 14 pick Joseph Gabayni, and no. 16 pick Julian Sargent.

"It hasn't been easy," Herndon said of his PBA journey. "First off, leaving my home country and you know, obviously having to fight through adversity, trying to make a D-League team. When I first got out here, no team in the D-League wanted me, I was working hard to make a team."

"Once I did that, I just played hard every game and just tried to show my wares in the D-League. I'm just glad it paid off," he added.

Obviously giving everything he had to make his dream a reality, Herndon is just happy to finally see the fruits of his labor.

And he's not shy to let his feelings known as well. You only get drafted once after all.

"To be honest, this is probably the happiest moment of my life. A lot of hard work has been put into this and it just feels good that it's finally here and I reap the benefit of being drafted into the PBA. I'm more than thankful," he said.

"It's more than worth it man, this is my dream and I couldn't be any happier. This is awesome," Herndon added."

3. Dzee

Dzee All Star

PF
    Bulls
    Herndon a draft sleeper?
    SPORTING CHANCE By Joaquin M. Henson (The Philippine Star) |

A sleeper is a term that’s used to describe a not-too-widely-known athlete with a huge upside, a player who succeeds when nobody thought he would. So that in the PBA draft on Oct. 29, someone like Fil-Am Robbie Herndon could be considered a sleeper.

While there’s excitement over Fil-German Christian Standhardinger’s decision to join the coming PBA draft, the 6-3 Herndon shouldn’t be overlooked as a blue-chipper who could make an immediate impact in the pros. He’s unravelled his wares in the PBA D-League so what he’s capable of doing isn’t a secret. Herndon might just be the surprise of the draft.

Not too many fans know that Herndon has a history of friendship with Sen. Manny Pacquiao with whom he has played pick-up games in Los Angeles and Manila. Herndon was introduced to Pacquiao by San Francisco-based Filipino lawyer Jason Aniel whose mother Boots used to manage Filipino fighters, including Luisito Espinosa.

Herndon, 24, played two NCAA Division II seasons with the San Francisco State varsity, averaging 5.8 points in 2011-12 and 6.5 points in 2012-13. He came to Manila in 2105 with Aniel to look over the basketball landscape and decided to live his dream of playing the pro game here. In the PBA D-League Aspirants Cup this season, he averaged 18.6 points, 8.6 rebounds, 3.8 assists and 1.8 steals with Victoria Sports. In the recent Foundation Cup, Herndon made his mark as a scorer and rebounder with Wangs then Marinerong Pilipino. In 2016, Herndon caught the attention of local fans when he defeated veteran Willie Miller, 21-19, in the final of the Red Bull King of the Rock tournament in Intramuros.

A criminal justice major, Herndon traces his Filipino roots to his father Bobby who is 3/4 Filipino. Aniel said Herndon has what it takes to create waves in the PBA. Herndon describes himself as a physical player with smooth moves, too.

“I believe Robbie has a great chance to succeed in the PBA because he’s a legitimate scoring threat from the outside and he’s strong enough to mix it up with the big men under the basket,” said Aniel. “He’s tremendously competitive and unlike many Fil-foreigners trying to play in the PBA but weren’t born in the Philippines, Robbie has embraced the culture and enjoys life in the country. He was a standout scorer and rebounder during his two PBA D-League appearances. He was second in scoring this past conference.”

Aniel said he met Herndon during a basketball tournament in San Francisco in 2014. “He was in his last year at San Francisco State before he graduated and was planning a career in law enforcement,” said Aniel. “Robbie mentioned his father is Filipino and that he was once offered an opportunity to play with San Beda. Because Manny was in L. A. promoting his match with Chris Algieri, I invited Robbie to play in the open runs that Manny organizes when he’s in town. Robbie played well in those games and caught Manny’s eye. It was Manny who told me that Robbie could play in the PBA.”

Aniel said he later met with Herndon’s parents to talk about his future in basketball. “Robbie lived in Makati for a year in order to get adjusted to the lifestyle,” he said. “We set up everything necessary for Robbie to cover the PBA’s draft requirements. Now, he’s ready to go.”

Aniel said Herndon began playing when he was five. “From a young age, he was inspired by Kobe Bryant, his favorite player and a fellow shooting guard,” he went on. “Robbie was a standout athlete at St. Patrick-St. Vincent High School in Vallejo, California, about 30 miles northeast of San Francisco. He could’ve played with San Beda after high school but decided to compete in the US NCAA instead. He was a heavily recruited player and received an offer to play Division I in Utah, a school that plays in the Pacific 12 Conference. Robbie chose to play at San Francisco State on a basketball scholarship but stopped playing after two years because he felt it wasn’t the right fit.” A Fil-Am whom Herndon played against in college was Matt Ganuelas-Rosser.

After playing two conferences in the PBA D-League, Herndon said he’s sure the PBA is the “right fit” for him to develop as a basketball player. Aniel said whatever team drafts Herndon will get a hard-working quality player who’s determined, eager and hungry to win. Standhardinger won’t be available to join the PBA until his six-month ABL contract expires in March next year so until he’s in harness, Herndon might just be the Fil-foreigner to steal the thunder from everyone else in the pros.

• Like Like x 1
  4. hingebra

hingebra "Purefoods Lover, Ginebra Hater" LOL! Starter

PF
    Cavaliers
    ^gusto ko itong article na ito, hope all are true with herndon. i still believe that the coaching staff saw something with this guy kaya 3 agad ang ipinalit sa kanya kasama yung "blake griffin" daw ng Pilipinas. lol

i just hope he will not turn into another "james forrester" type of player na puro hype lang...wag din mag-ala tautuaa yan na sobrang overrated naman.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Dzee

Dzee All Star

PF
    Bulls
    I think may nakita nga ang coaching staff kay Herndon, hopefully he will fit sa system ni coach Chito. If he can produce 15pts 7rebs 5asst 2stls per game, then hindi nasayang ung 3 rookies na kapalit nya. :tup:tup:tup

6. JM007

JM007 Starter

PF
    Bulls
    Nothing against Herndon but trade goes to show na mali and itrade si Maliksi. Herndon is a prototype of Maliksi. San lang man making effective si Herndon....

Sayang talaga si Allein

7. Dzee

Dzee All Star

PF
    Bulls
    For the Maliksi trade, i'm still optimistic that Star got the better of the trade. Both Gamalinda and Pascual saw very minimal playing time last conference because they are not yet part of the regular rotation of coach Chito, but by the time the Philippine Cup starts, i hope they will be key pieces for the success of the team, specially Kyle Pascual whom coach Chito said was the real target of the trade.

If we also analyze the latest rookie trade, it make sense that they can let go of Flores and Gabayni because they have the likes of Brondial and Pascual who are veterans and knows the system already. Also, they can let go of Sargent because they have dela Rosa and Gamalinda who are also good wing defenders, including also rookie pick Gwyne Capacio who is also known as a good wing defender in his college years.

To sum it up:
    Maliksi = Herndon (w/ offense & defense)
    Flores and Gabayni = Brondial and Pascual
    Sargent = Gwyne Capacio / dela Rosa / Gamalinda

8. baymax

baymax Starter

PF
    Bulls
    Herndon motivated to play alongside league’s top guards at Star

From the get-go, Robbie Herndon knew which team he wanted to go to.

Though GlobalPort drafted him sixth in the 2017 PBA Rookie Draft, it didn’t take long before the Fil-Am swingman’s wish came true when he was shipped by the Batang Pier, together with fourth rounder Gian Abrigo, to the Hotshots for ninth overall pick Lervin Flores, and second rounders Joseph Gabayni and Julian Sargent.

“This is a team I wanted to go to. My heart wanted me to end up in Purefoods and God-willing, it ended up happening. I’m excited and I’m super grateful,” he said.

Known as an ace gunner, Herndon will be forced to explore another facet of his game as he joins a Star squad where coach Chito Victolero has put a premium on defense.

And this early, the 24-year-old is welcoming the task at hand.

“The coach wants his team to play defense, so that’s what I’ll focus on,” he said. “I’ll focus on learning the system, jelling with the players, and learn from everybody from the team. I’m an offensive player, but I can also play on the other side of the court. I guess it’s time to up my defense a little bit and focus on that.”

Herndon is also raring to prove himself to the Hotshots faithful as he seeks to find his niche behind lead guards Paul Lee, Mark Barroca, and Peter June Simon.

“It’s a huge motivation when you know that you can play with the top players and you feel like you belong with them at the top. It’s a motivation for me to use to keep working hard and I wanted to prove that I can play among the best,” the 6-foot-3 scorer said.

Herndon motivated to play alongside league’s top guards at Star

9. baymax

baymax Starter

PF
    Bulls
    i feel more confident dito kay Herndon. sana nga team player ito.

say okay na din yung trade :bgs

10. Dzee

Dzee All Star

PF
    Bulls
    It's final, Commissioner approved the trade of Star and Globalport.

[​IMG]

11. TiagoSplitter

TiagoSplitter Starter

PF
    Spurs
    kung tutuusin pwede na sana Gabayni, Sargent and Torres for Herndon, sana hindi sinama si Flores.

yung SMB lamang na lang sa mga trades tapos Star naman luging lugi.

12. JM007

JM007 Starter

PF
    Bulls
    OK na sana yung Herndon at Cahilig.... Kaso si GOV galante, kaya pinalitan si Cahilig ng Abrigo (4th round pick?)))...

• Like Like x 1
  13. hingebra

PF
    Cavaliers

^di ako nanghihinayang kay flores kasi di hamak na mas scorer si herndon pero yung cahilig sayang talaga parang cyrus baguio laro ng batang yun. sayang talaga.

14. TiagoSplitter

TiagoSplitter Starter

PF
    Spurs
    Walang kwenta yung Abrigo, may Rome dela Rosa at Gamalinda na. Concerned daw kasi sila kuno sa injury ni Cahilig kaya pinalitan.

Maliwanag naman mga galaw ng Star ngayon.

Kinuha si Herndon kasi tinanggal si Maliksi, hindi dahil sa gusto ng coaching staff pero dahil sa butthurt pa din si Chuawa sa luto gesture nya.

Lopsided yung trade in favor of GlobalPort kapalit ng suporta nila sa lopsided KIA-SMB trade.

Mahina talaga ulo ni Chuawa, kita naman sa mga post nya sa Twitter. Ang problema 80% ng Pinoy mas mahina pa ang ulo compared sa kanya.

• Like Like x 1
  15. hingebra

PF
    Cavaliers

^naiintriga din ako dito. obviously lopsided yung trade ng mga rookies pero knowing smc tuso yan sa mga trade deals. minsan iniisip ko baka naman pinadadama lang ang globalport ng star pero sa huli eh tayo ang makikinabang sa lahat ng nangyayaring ito.

they can be the conduit team if star want a deal from our sister team/s. yung CSH ewan ko di ako naniniwalang magtatagal yan sa SMB knowing the talents of the three smc teams luging-lugi talaga tayo.

ang naaamoy ko diyan bago pa nangyari ang trade na yan si Ping talaga ang mawawala sa atin kapalit ni CSH at conduit nga itong Globalport

if this will not happen eh sobrang tang@ na talaga ng mga higher ups ng star specifically pardo sama na natin si cap (masakit man sabhin) mga puppets sila ng gag0ng chuwawa na yan.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Dzee

Dzee All Star

PF
    Bulls
    Hindi natin alam kung sino talaga ang nakalamang dito sa trade hangang makita natin sa actual na laro. When i say actual na laro, it's not just one game siguro, but one season maybe? or 2 years or more. And when that time comes, dun palang natin masasabi kung mali ba ung desisyon ng managment sa pagkuha kay Herndon kapalit ng mga "Future Bigman" sana ng team. Ung Abrigo hindi ko kilala, wala sya masyadong highlights sa youtube, and baka hindi din sya makuha sa line-up kasi sobrang dami ng guard sa Star. So parang 3 is to 1 talaga itong trade na ito in favor of Globalport. But i reserve the benefit of the doubt until i see them all play. :tup:D;)

• Like Like x 1
  17. TiagoSplitter

TiagoSplitter Starter

PF
    Spurs
    simula naman nung naupo si chuawa as sports director at kinuha si picone talagang dummy na yang si pardoding at patrimonia.

decoration na lang at wala ng nagawang matino para sa team.

si alvin hindi na lionheart, pussyheart na.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Marrjoss_11

Marrjoss_11 Solid Purefoods Fan Since 1988 Starter

PF
    Lakers
    i agree to you sir....magkakaalaman nyan pagdating sa actual na laro nila sa PBA.....sana maging legit scorer sya para naman madagdagan uli outside scorer natin.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Marrjoss_11

Marrjoss_11 Solid Purefoods Fan Since 1988 Starter

PF
    Lakers
    yung thomas torres parang jio jalalon din ang laro mukhang Ok din itong batang ito.....

20. hingebra

PF
    Cavaliers
    STAR has signed rookie Robbie Herndon on Friday.

Read more at Star Hotshots sign rookie Robbie Herndon to two-year contract | SPIN.PH

He's not given a maximum deal for a rookie maybe because they want to test this man if all things will go real and good with him. For a rookie its always a big pressure on how you will showcase your skills in the team but based on some articles maganda talaga work ethic ng player na ito. He's a legit scorer. Additional arsenal for our team. Sana mahigitan niya yung scoring prowess nila James Yap & Allein Maliksi.

Chat

Help
    1. There are currently no users chatting.

You don't have the necessary permissions to use the chat.